+=+=+=+= INSIDER REPORT =+=+=+=+
January 13, 2004
SIM's INSIDER REPORT is a free bi-monthly newsletter dedicated to helping readers succeed online while saving both time and money with cutting-edge tools, tips and strategies for internet marketing, online advertising and website promotion.
IN THIS ISSUE
==> Tip of the Week
==> Tips, Tools & Resources
==> Online Weekly Reports
==> Feedback & Contributions
==> Food for Thought
First, a warm WELCOME! to all new subscribers!
The new antispam law that President Bush signed a couple weeks ago is now official, but there are differing opinions about what that means for you and me.
The CAN-SPAM Act, short for Controlling the Assault of Non- Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act of 2003, basically establishes guidelines for the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to thwart unwanted e-mails.
Specifically, the new law promises to: prohibit fake or misleading e-mail headers; require an "opt-out" button to block future mailings; demand that the subject line identify sexually explicit e-mails; forbid "harvesting" e-addresses in bulk from the Internet; and fine the most offensive spammers - or jail them for up to five years.
Critics of the CAN-SPAM Act say it's not tough enough, as the law doesn't actually make it illegal to send spam...
I have a special report by the "Ezine Queen" offering tips for surviving the new act and what you should be doing about it... http://startupinternetmarketing.com/ezines/canspam.html
The CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 can be found here...
For the latest news on this subject go here...
This week's "Tip of the Week" features a special report by Jay Conrad Levinson, that I highly recommend you look at CLOSELY. Jay is the author of the "Guerrilla Marketing" series of books, the most popular marketing series in history with 14 million copies sold. The report is titled "The New Secrets of Guerrilla Marketing" and features tons of timely tips!
TIP OF THE WEEK
The New Secrets of Guerrilla Marketing
The most important things you need to know about marketing are in this column. In the few minutes it takes you to read this, you'll learn more basic truths about marketing than you'd pick up with a score of MBA degrees under one arm and all the marketing books ever written, including mine, under the other.
As marketing continues to change, the secrets of guerrilla marketing continue to change. Originally, there were three secrets, then seven, then twelve. Now, I'm going to clue you in on the 16 secrets that guarantee you will exceed your most optimistic projections, however dreamy they may be.
MEMORIZE THESE 16 WORDS THEN LIVE BY THEM
I'm giving you a memory crutch so that you'll never forget these words, each one representing a major guerrilla marketing secret. All 16 words end in the letters "ENT." Run your business by the guerrilla concepts they represent and your marketing dreams will come true.
1. COMMITMENT: You should know that a mediocre marketing program with commitment will always prove more profitable than a brilliant marketing program without commitment. Commitment makes it happen.
2. INVESTMENT: Marketing is not an expense, but an investment -- the best investment available in America today -- if you do it right. With the 15 secrets of guerrilla marketing to guide you, you'll be doing it right.
3. CONSISTENT: It takes a while for prospects to trust you and if you change your marketing, media, and identity, you're hard to trust. Restraint is a great ally of the guerrilla. Repetition is another.
4. CONFIDENT: In a nationwide test to determine why people buy, price came in fifth, selection fourth, service third, quality second, and, in first place -- people said they patronize businesses in which they are confident.
5. PATIENT: Unless the person running your marketing is patient, it will be difficult to practice commitment, view marketing as an investment, be consistent, and make prospects confident. Patience is a guerrilla virtue.
6. ASSORTMENT: Guerrillas know that individual marketing weapons rarely work on their own. But marketing combinations do work. A wide assortment of marketing tools is required to woo and win customers.
7. CONVENIENT: People now know that time is not money, but is far more valuable than money. Respect this by being easy to do business with and running your company for the convenience of your customers, not yourself.
8. SUBSEQUENT: The real profits come after you've made the sale, in the form of repeat and referral business. Non-guerrillas think marketing ends when they've made the sale. Guerrillas know that's when marketing begins.
9. AMAZEMENT: There are elements of your business that you take for granted, but prospects would be amazed if they knew the details. Be sure all of your marketing always reflects that amazement. It's always there.
10. MEASUREMENT: You can actually double your profits by measuring the results of your marketing. Some weapons hit bulls-eyes. Others miss the target. Unless you measure, you won't know which is which.
11. INVOLVEMENT: This describes the relationship between you and your customers -- and it is a relationship. You prove your involvement by following up; they prove theirs by patronizing and recommending you.
12. DEPENDENT: The guerrilla's job is not to compete but to cooperate with other businesses. Market them in return for them marketing you. Set up tie-ins with others. Become dependent to market more and invest less.
13. ARMAMENT: Armament is defined as "the equipment necessary to wage and win battles." The armament of guerrillas is technology: computers, current software, cellphones, pagers, fax machines. If youíre technophobic, see a techno-shrink.
14. CONSENT: In an era of non-stop interruption marketing, the key to success is to first gain consent to receive your marketing materials, then market only to those who have given you that consent. Donít waste money on people who donít give it to you.
15. AUGMENT: To succeed online, augment your website with offline promotion, constant maintenance of your site, participation in newsgroups and forums, email, chatroom attendance, posting articles, hosting conferences and rapid follow-up.
16. CONTENT: Donít believe that old adage, "Sell the sizzle not the steak." Sophisticated consumers these days know the sizzle from the steak and prefer the steak every time. Your substance, not your style, will carry the day for you.
These 16 concepts are probably the reason that many start-up guerrillas now run highly successful companies. They are the cornerstone of guerrilla marketing, now the most popular marketing series in history, published in 39 languages, and required reading in many MBA programs worldwide. Just 16 words, but each one nuclear-powered and capable of propelling you into the land of your dreams.
. . .
Article by Jay Conrad Levinson - Copyright © 2003
Jay Conrad Levinson is the author of the "Guerrilla Marketing" series of books, the most popular marketing series in history with 14 million sold, now in 39 languages. At his GuerrillaMarketingAssociation.com website, youíll find a new source of profit-producing ideas plus a list of 100 guerrilla marketing weapons. Join up for telephone and online access to The Father of Guerrilla Marketing.
SIM's "Tip of the Week" back issues available at... http://www.startupinternetmarketing.com/ezines
TIPS, TOOLS & RESOURCES
POPFile Documentation Project
This free download will help reduce the volume of SPAM in your inbox. Once properly set up and trained, POPFile will scan all email as it arrives separating out junk e-mail and classifying it based on your training. Get it here... http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl
Calchemy is a long-standing service that provides similar functionality to Google's calculator which lets you do sums by using units in plain language, such as speed of light * 2? Unlike the Google calculator, it gives lots of documentation about the units it understands. http://www.calchemy.com/uclive.htm
SIM WEB BOOKS
The Birth of a Professional Website
This free download is brand new and available from the SIM site ONLY. It's a compilation of 10 articles by Shelley Lowery that completely covers the job of launching a professional website, as only Shelley can. HIGHLY recommended... http://startupinternetmarketing.com/birth.htm
Internet Marketing Basics
If you're not TOTALLY familiar with the BASICS of marketing online then you owe it to yourself to grab AND read this dynamic 39-page report by Shelley Lowery. She discusses the many aspects involved with bringing your business online. Shelley is tops! http://startupinternetmarketing.com/shelley
* For more great tips and tools, visit our website:
FREE 5 DAY INTENSIVE COURSES
*Mastering Search Engine Placement
*Becoming a high-earning affiliate champion
*Creating, producing and selling your very own infoproduct
*Finding the Perfect Price that will maximize your profit
*How to write sales-clinching copy on the Net
Affiliate Masters Course
The Affiliate Masters Course is a fantastic stand-alone information resource. This course REALLY has ALL the info and strategies required to build a profitable affiliate-based e-biz from the ground up. Click here to download immediately...
Webmaster BUSINESS Masters Course
This new course by Mark Frank shows Webmasters how to take care of the BUSINESS end of Webmastering. Things like running your business, building it, finances, legals, administration and marketing your business. Don't miss this one...
Download directly: http://startupinternetmarketing.com/wmb
Tell me more: http://startupinternetmarketing.com/wmb-info
Make Your Net Auction Sell
MYNAS! The Masters Course is now free. Sydney Johnston shows you how to start and grow a profitable Net auction business - GET IT!
Tell me more: http://startupinternetmarketing.com/mynas
Get it now: http://startupinternetmarketing.com/dl/mynas.zip
ONLINE WEEKLY REPORTS
My Top 12 Web Site Marketing Strategies
If you don't create a successful strategy for marketing your web site, you can't build a profitable online business. It's therefore imperative to drive thousands of visitors to your web site, then convert them to paying customers...
Write Your Own How-To Book Before Spring!
Creating your own product is one real, honest-to-goodness way people do completely change their lifestyles for the better.YOU can create your own high-profit How-To Book - and have it paying you in only 3 months... http://startupinternetmarketing.com/tips/tipsales.html
Introducing A New Product
Experts say to expect a 20 to 50 percent drop in your sales projections for a new product or when entering a new market.
- it takes time for customers to get to know and trust a new offering. http://startupinternetmarketing.com/tips/tipbiz.html
Create Your Own Sound Files
If you're using Windows 95+ and have a microphone and speakers, you can create your own audio files to place on your website... http://startupinternetmarketing.com/tips/tipdesign.html
Specifying Text Formatting of Syndicated Content
Learn how to format syndicated content being published on other web pages. By formatting, I mean using CSS to specify attributes like font size, color, face, line spacing and so forth... http://startupinternetmarketing.com/tips/tipsite.html
What You Need to Know NOW About the New CAN-SPAM Act
Tips for surviving the new CAN-SPAM Act as it pertains to you and what you should be doing about it...
FEEDBACK & CONTRIBUTIONS
Five Top Tips For A Prosperous 2004
According to many market forecasts, 2004 is likely to be a buoyant year online. These are my top tips for making the most of it, and ensuring a happy, healthy and prosperous 2004.
1. Seek out new markets and niches, and make them work for you.
This is a simple technique to find profitable niches for your business. Download the free Good Keywords software from goodkeywords.com - this is a virtual crystal ball into what you should be selling online. Find keywords that have a high number of searches, and a low number of pages for those keywords on the most popular search engine, Google. The ratio between the number of searches, and the number of results found for that keyword or phrase, determines the potential profitability of the keyword.
Another method is to use the free trial service at wordtracker.com.
Create a product or service around the profitable keyword, and you'll be onto a potential goldmine online.
2. Automate, automate, automate
If you find you are doing something repetitively, is it something you can automate? Automating a repetitive task is something that could save you hours, if not days or weeks of time, in 2004, all of which you could be spending doing something more worthwhile and profitable.
Automate almost everything you can, wherever possible. An Internet business allows for a great deal of automation, from list management to product fulfillment, so take advantage of it wherever you can.
3. Seek out non-email-reliant profit avenues
With spam filters, overloaded email folders, and increasing legislation proving ever-more troublesome to legitimate opt-in email marketers, it's wise to develop branches of your business that do not solely rely on email for profitability.
That's not to say email marketing is no longer relevant or important, it quite clearly is both of these when used effectively - but my tip for 2004 is to try to find other supplementary routes to profitability.
For example, a niche area in the search engines (as outlined in tip 1 above) will bring you a lot of traffic, without over-relying on email as a traffic and sales generation tool - and even if you don't have a specific product, if you combine great content with effective use of Google Adsense, that's another great income stream for your business.
Success online is all about not putting all your eggs into one basket, and developing 'multiple streams of income'. If you lost your email list(s) overnight, would you still be profitable?
4. Take more exercise
What? What's that got to do with doing business online?
Well, more than you think. For one, sitting in front of a computer for 12 hours a day can be detrimental to your health - and if you don't have your health, you won't have much of a business.
Getting some regular fresh air and exercise will not only help to keep you healthy, it will also:
5. Set goals
Close your eyes, and picture yourself at the end of 2004. Where would you like to be?
If you continue doing what you are doing now, where will you be, realistically?
Set some goals that will get you from where you are currently heading, to where you would like to be. Break those goals down into specific steps that know you can achieve, and will ensure you reach your goals by the end of 2004.
Refer to your goals regularly, don't be afraid to adjust them if necessary during the year, and take one step at a time.
. . .
Steve Shaw has been marketing full-time online since March 2002, developing software products and systems for effective
e- marketing, including PopUpMaster Pro, the totally new software that allows you to create any kind of popup in less than 3 minutes. Check it out at... http://startupinternetmarketing.com/pmp
If you have a promotion tip to share (or an affiliate program that would be of interest to the rest of us) or if you have a web design tip, or a specific question, please feel free to post all tips, questions, or answers to posted questions here and I will add your email or URL with it. It's FREE promotion!
Send your tips, questions or answers to:
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
The power of decision gives you the capacity to get past any
excuse to change any and every part of your life in an instant.
Our sponsors and advertisers help bring this newsletter to you. Please support them.
>>> Affiliate Marketer's Handbook
Learn how to become an affiliated publisher for
some MAJOR companies and make good money while
working from home on your computer. Others are
doing it - I'm doing it, and so can YOU!
>>> DASHBOARD MARKETING
New Marketing Dashboard lets you point-and-click your
way to sales and profits -- Step By Step From A to Z --
This Point-and-click marketing system turns selling your
products and services into a virtual no-brainer...
>>> PROFIT PULLING EBOOKS
"Profit Pulling eBooks" is now available for less
than $15 and comes with a license to resell it and
keep every penny of the sale for yourself.
>>> 1001 Newbie Friendly Tips!
Discover 100s of Practical and Usable ideas to help
you start your online business, and the simplest
ways to implement them. Learn how to fine tune your
site to maximize profit, and continue increasing your
profit with successful, proven strategies.
Thanks for reading our FREE "opt-in only" publication. Please forward this to any one whom you think would find this information useful or interesting. I'm sure they'll appreciate
it - I know I certainly will.
Back issues of the INSIDER REPORT are available at http://startupinternetmarketing.com/ezines/back.html
Was this issue forwarded to you by a friend? Grab YOUR own free lifetime subscription... click here
We accept no responsibility whatsoever for the content, profitability or legality of any published articles or advertisements contained within SIM's Insider Report.
Although all of the articles have been selected for their content, the publishing of such articles within this newsletter does NOT constitute a recommendation of the products or services mentioned or advertised within those articles.
Be responsible! Always do your own Due Diligence before responding to any offer.
The SIM's INSIDER REPORT is a production of Startup Internet Marketing and is owned by Dan Porteous
Startup Internet Marketing
No part of this publication may be reproduced in whole, or
in part, without the express written consent of the publisher.